Thursday, August 28, 2008

Caleb's First Day of School




Caleb started pre-school today at St. Jerome School. He goes to school three full days a week. He was all excited to go and I thought all was going very well. He put his backpack and lunchbox away and settled in at the Lego table. After about ten minutes I thought I would go since he seemed to be having fun and playing well. I was wrong. When I told him I was going home the tears started flowing big time. He kept saying, "But, I want to be with you, Mom" over and over. I don't think he realized that I was not going to hang out with him at school all day. He did not say he wanted to go home, he just did not want me to leave. I stayed for ten more minutes, but it was clear he was not going to stop crying. The teacher said I should just go ahead and leave and he would eventually stop crying. It was better to just go and get the separation over with. I can't believe how hard it was to walk out the door with Caleb trying to hold my hand and crying for me to stay. He looked so small and scared; it was awful. I hope he is doing OK and that the crying did not last long.

No comments: