Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Holiday Time

I finally have all the Halloween and Fall Harvest decorations taken down and packed away. Except for the one stray fake pumpkin that I forgot on the front porch. I had all the boxes put back in storage already, of course, when I noticed the forgotten pumpkin. For right now it is in the house, but it has yet to make it downstairs to the storage area. Probably when I get the energy to drag out the Christmas decorations it will get put away. So, in the meantime my son will have some fun rolling it all over the kitchen floor.

Regarding the Christmas decorations, I am not sure when I will get to those. I have been putting them out later these last few years. I think with having children it has made me leery of wanting to battle with them over leaving them alone for weeks on end. Obviously all the delicate and breakable items go up on shelves or on the top of the tree, but it isn't a fool proof plan. Somehow one way or another, one of the boys launches a miscellaneous toy through the air right at my crystal angel and that is another trinket to bite the dust.

Probably this weekend I will get the stuff out and my husband will put the tree together and the lights on and we all will help decorate it. I will arrange all the knickknacks and do-dads all around the house while Christmas music is playing. The kids really love to help decorate and dance around singing as loud as they possibly can. I get my childhood favorite record out, The John Denver Muppets Christmas, and take a trip down memory lane.

This year, in addition to putting up our 13 year old, price reduced, former Hills Department Store special, tree up (yes, it is ugly and full of holes, but I don't worry that the kids will ruin it) we are doing a live tree. An old high school friend of mine who I keep up with still via her blog and Facebook, always gets a live, potted tree for Christmas. I thought this was the best idea and I have finally convinced the husband this is a good thing. He thinks digging a hole to plant it this time of year is difficult. Bahhh-Humbug!

So, I found an area nursery that sells living, potted Christmas trees and we are going to purchase one this weekend. I am so excited with this idea because I just think it will be so cool to have a live tree but not have to cut it down. Then after Christmas we (this means my husband) will plant it in our yard for us to enjoy. Hopefully it will survive and thrive and stay around a long time. I would love to watch it grow as my children grow up and we can look at the tree and remember that year's holiday season. This is my plan, at least, I hope it works!

No comments: