Monday, August 10, 2009

August Update







I have not updated the blog in several weeks. I have been meaning to do it, but just kept putting it off. We have been busy, so there is always that excuse. Lee was off work for July and we were spending time together as a family taking advantage of his availability to us.
The kids had a lot of fun this July with Dad. I have noticed that Daniel has grown closer to Lee and actually prefers now to go to him over me. That kind of feels weird. I guess I should be thrilled for the break of not having to dote on him, but I almost feel slighted that he cries for Dad and wants him over me.
I mean, I carried him around for nine months, went through agony bringing him into the world, nursed him for over a year, and have been with him for nearly every day of his life. Yet, in a few short weeks he casts me off like a pair of shoes and goes running to Dad for every want and need. How strange to feel so quickly like I am not the most important person in his life!

Now, Dad is a warm and capable man who does a great job with the kids. So, I can see how Daniel would be drawn to him so deeply. It just was something I did not expect to happen so swiftly, especially since none of the other boys really did that when they were his age. Daniel just seemed to really bond with Lee this past month and that is a good thing. He loves to have Dad hold him and play with him and it is really cute to watch.

Now that Lee is back to work, I think Daniel is wondering what is going on. Not having his Dad around all day long now is a change and I don't think he likes it. Dad does come home for lunch (at least until school actually starts up) so Daniel gets to hug him and sit with him for a little bit during the day. He cries when Lee heads out the door back to work and it takes a while before he settles down again. Thankfully the misfits and antics of his three older brothers distract and entertain him thoroughly.

No comments: